Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Final Post

1. Which seminar readings, exercises, or assignments were most challenging, interesting, or rewarding for you? Why?

I really liked the exercise we did on the first day--when we had to use recyclable materials to make a chair. It forced us to get creative, and while some designs were more visceral than others, we all made something that was unique. I enjoyed the reading about Paco Underhill and Main Street because I never even thought about anything that the authors wrote about. I never thought to consider a store's layout, how customers interact with it, and how certain things really lead people away from going into certain stores. I think those readings were the most rewarding because they brought that to our attention, and the things that were discussed in those readings I'll always remember when I'm walking through a mall or driving down the highway. I also like the individual presentations on retail. Maybe it was just that I liked talking about Build-a-Bear, but I really enjoyed spending time in and analyzing that store.

2. What are the most important things you learned in this seminar?

I think I've just become very aware of the things around me through the different readings, through the retail analysis, and the different exercises we did in class. I learned to pay attention to my surroundings, and to take time to appreciate and look at the area I live in. Being so close to Chicago, there are so many things to see and I won't see the city the same way.

3. How might you use this learning in the future?

I think it's just important to be aware of your surroundings. To be active, and not just passive in everything that you do. It's nice to just experience something, an area where you live, but its nice to be able to appreciate something when you think about the process that went into it. If I'm ever in a position to design a product, or think of something I need to do for a large audience, I will definitely remember what I learned in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment