Monday, September 28, 2009

Emotional Design Pt. 2

1. "...appealing to the intellect is no guarantee of success. Many well-acclaimed serious works of art and music are relatively unintelligible to the average person....for in the exalted realm of literature, art, and professional criticism, it would appear that when something can be clearly understood, it is judged as flawed, whereas when something is impenetrable, it must of necessity be good."

I chose this passage because I can relate to what the author is saying here. When I read this, I immediately thought about a visit I paid to the Art Institute of Chicago this summer, during the opening of their new modern wing. Many, including myself, anticipated this event because I enjoy art and was curious to see what is "modern art."  As I stepped into the galleries, one by one I had a strange feeling of confusion; I felt like I didn't understand the artwork because it was so abstract, yet so simple. Actually, there was one series of paintings that looked like a kindergardener could have produced. And as that thought came to mind, I thought I just didn't "get it." I feel this experience directly relates to this passage because, as an average person, I felt like I couldn't appreciate the artwork and that I needed an artist's mentality to understand what I was viewing. Because I did not "understand" it, I felt, just as Norman points out, that it must of necessity be good. Likewise, the paintings whose concepts I did grasp I felt were less meaningful. Looking back, I don't think they are, but to the average person, this confusion leads them to believe they just don't know how to appreciate what is in front of them.

2. Of the three, visceral design was the hardest concept for me to grasp by looking solely at the name. It is much easier to understand that behavioral relates to function, and reflective relates somehow to the long term relationship one has with something. Reflective was difficult to comprehend as well, but I think the term fits well with its definition. After looking up the word visceral in the dictionary, I still wasn't sure what it meant. And after reading the section, I wondered how the word visceral related to the topic. I wouldn't rename it because it is easy enough to understand once one reads the explanation, but certain phrases like, "outward appearance," or "immediate attraction" might help at the start. The word reflective signifies there is some sort of relationship or experience with something that one can look back on. However reflective design, as Norman writes, has two meanings. Other than the long term relationship with an object, reflective designs also send messages about a person to others and is about self-image. The word reflective is harder to relate with this definition, but with time it becomes clear that designs "reflect" a certain image to people and on people. 

3. The designer has to look at what his or her goal is for the end product in order to decide which design of the three is more important for that product. The designer should focus on one to start with, but a good design can encompass all three. If the designer wants to make a school bag, he has to decide what is most important: aesthetics or functionality. A good design would be a bag that is appealing, sturdy and spacious. However, there are those designs that aim solely for aesthetics and disregard functionality. Picture frames are examples of products that are more reflective. What is more personal than a photo of the family sitting in the living room? People have relationships with these types of products. Anything that someone buys to look trendy or classy is reflective. Anything that someone buys to project a certain image of his or herself to others is reflective.  More behavioral products are things like books. Unless someone enjoys collecting and displaying books, most people do not buy books based on their outward appearance. If a student needs a book for class, he or she doesn't look for the prettiest edition; a used book will do the job. Other types of behavioral products are garbage cans, school desks, fans, clocks, school bags, mirrors, gym shoes, school supplies, etc. The more visceral products are products like cars, clothes, cell phones, MP3 players, TVs, refrigerators, furniture, bedding, etc. Anything that instantly attracts people and makes them want a certain product is visceral.

No comments:

Post a Comment